Thursday, June 28, 2012

I believe in God....so what?

Even though my girls are gone for a grueling six weeks this summer, I knew my Father had some amazing stuff for me to learn and struggle through. Convictions seem to be an everyday thing lately and I'm so grateful for it! That means my Lord loves me enough to put people in my path to correct me when needed and the Holy Spirit to yearn in my gut preventing me from committing potential sin.

Also, there is a new man in my life this summer. His name is James, you may have heard of him. He was Jesus' little brother. This guy has been beyond challenging and convicting in my actions , or lack thereof, as a Christ follower. Currently I am in a study by Beth Moore trying to grip this controversial book. And it just so happens, Summer Salt is studying this guy too! So I hang out with him pretty much everyday, and we're getting up close and personal, let me tell you.

There are so many areas I want to dive into that have struck my heart strings but the one I focus on today is one of the areas why many think James is so controversial: faith and deeds. They taught on it tonight at Salt. Many parts of the bible says that we are saved "by grace, through faith" (Eph 2:8) the end. Well, yes this is true, but James likes to take it a step further..."faith without deeds is dead" (James 2:26). It states all throughout the bible, to have Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we need to believe, have faith. Ok but James argues this, "even the demons believe there is one God and shudder" (James 2:19) So if that all we do is believe then we are no better than the demons, correct?
Here's the 'Melisa' spin: I think James says this because if we TRULY believe and have faith that the Lord is God and everything else in the bible that it says  what God is and does, then why would we NOT bow at His feet and want, desire, long to be obedient to the Most High???

Think of it this way, if you have a child that wants a toy they have been eyeing for months and months when finally, as a suprise, you decide to get that toy for them. Maybe they have been really good, respectful, helpful, etc. When you unvail that present to your unexpecting child, what happens? My guess is their face lights up the whole house and their excitement is so powerful it can't be contained. They hug and kiss you over and over, jumping up and down marveling at what they hold in their little hands. They may even say "I'll do dishes for a month and clean my room everyday and help with laundry, and, and, and!!"

The deeper I get into relationship with God, my true Father, the more I can't understand why we don't act that way. He steals our heart, loves on us unconditionally...regardless of how many times we've 'hit our sister, broken the chair leg, spilled the juice on the counter'. And then, when we don't even expect it and definitely don't deserve it, he gives us OUR gift: ETERNAL LIFE!!!!!! So YES we should be shouting to the hills to everyone we know what gift we received! And YES we should also tell our loving Father, "Thank you!!!! I will serve your kingdom, I will help you find those who are lost, I will clothe and feed the poor, I will love those who persecute me, because you love me!!! I will, I will, I will" And actually DO IT.

THAT is the BOOM of James! Yes, we get eternal life because of God's incredible grace if we have faith, even that of a mustard seed, but WHY, please tell me, do we not want to show our gratitude and appreciation by being obedient and letting Him live through us in such a way that when people meet with us, they SEE God in us; i.e. our attitudes, the way we live our life?! THAT is what I am striving for! I just don't want a ticket to heaven. I want Jesus there at the gate saying, "well done, good and faithful servant". And that my friend beats any new Barbie, video game or Lego set out there.







No comments:

Post a Comment