Thursday, June 21, 2012

Depth Perception

We went to a wedding this past weekend in which I thought it would be a great idea to wear some super cute, open toe heels. They matched perfectly with the dress and the attitude :) As the dinner part of the reception came to a close and the excitement of dancing filled all the kid's eyes, I moved to an area in which I could watch the upcoming show. Not 30 seconds after settling into my chair a boy, probably about 12 or so, rams right into my foot! It took everything I had not to grab him by the collar, oh the pain! (This is a girl who has had surgery on her toes years ago, and they are EXTREMELY sensitive) After the irritation settled minutes later, I got up to take Eden to the bathroom when low and behold, ANOTHER child rams into my other foot! For the love of Jesus! WHY?! At this point, I'm ready to exit...which we do almost immediately.

I have known this for years and notice it still today, and most recently at this wedding: CHILDREN HAVE NO DEPTH PERCEPTION!

We as Christ followers typically don't either. My 8 year old mentioned to me last night as we were talking about silly boys and how she won't be dating for another 10 years at the earliest when she agreed, "That's ok Mom, I know I won't know what love from a boy is til I understand God's love for me". Well, AMEN!

God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16) But many of us don't quite get the depth of love even though that is the most heard and memorized verse in the bible. So, John tries again. This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. (1John 3:16)....I don't think it's a coincidence it's the same chapter and verse. God tells us how to know what love is right there! That is what we should base our relationships off of! Jesus was the only human to ever walk this earth free of sin, full of compassion and love and completely blameless....yet, that is who was sent to the cross for OUR evil acts, desires, thoughts, sins, etc.

It is extremely difficult for me to grasp the depth of love my Savior has for me. And if I ever come close to understanding it, I have a feeling I won't be able to handle it. Why me, why am I worth all the pain and torture and rejection Jesus went thru? Why do I know Jeus loves me, but I still reject him, distrust him, break his heart and do unspeakable things that demonstrate anything but a reciprocation of the love he readily gives over and over?

As annoying as it is having my feet stepped on, what am I doing to Christ when I don't surrender to his love and obedience? While children's lack of depth perception is recognized when they over-step and fall further than they intend to, ours as Christians happen when we under-step and don't fall far enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment